Vmware esxi Free Home Lab Step By Step Instruction P3June 24, 2017
The XBox One X is 4K loaded console Say MicrosoftJune 24, 2017
We finally made it to VMware Vsphere client configuration. If you are new to this part of Vmware esxi Free Home Lab series, I suggest you visit previous parts.
Vmware esxi Free Home Lab Step By Step Instructions P1
Vmware esxi Free Home Lab Step By Step Instructions P2
Vmware esxi Free Home Lab Step By Step Instructions P3
VMware vSphere Client configuration
In this section we will be configuring VMware vSphere . Lets begin.
- Launch VMware vSphere and login
- You will be prompted with security warning. Check Instal this certificate and do not display any secruity warnings for “esxi” and click Ignore
- Once you are in VMware vshpere , you will be prompted with Vmware Evaluation Notice of 60 days. Click OK. Note! Reinstalling your lab isn’t that big of a deal. All the VM machines that we will create can be re-used in new evaluation lab setup. There is also a method that can be used to extend the trial period of VMware vshpere to 365 Days ( Google is your best friend). It is your responsibility to follow all EULA’s.
- Get yourself familiar with each tab on the right pane of VMware vsphere console. There is too much to cover each detail of the tab and is not relevant to this series, so for now I will only configure items that are needed for this lab setup.
- Lets configure SSH so that we can transfer files to esxi host. Click Configuration tab, Security profile and Properties.
- Select SSH and Options
- Click Start . This will start SSH service. You can see the status of SSH service at the bottom of VMware vshpere console.
- We setup the putty in our previous post, We were not able to make the connection because our SSH services were not configured. Lets launch the putty again. This time you will be prompted with following. Click Yes
- Since we don’t have a full feature DNS in a home lab.(Please keep in mind as an alternative you can also configure full feature DNS to eliminate this step. I do plan on writing instructions on creating DNS so stay tuned) I’m now editing the hosts file on this workstation, so it will now how to get to the ESXi server and vCSA appliance by name instead of ip. You will need to do this on every PC that you wish to use for VMware vSphere or you can just stick with IP address. Login to your esxi
- Once logged in. Lets make a backup copy of hosts file by use following command line.
cd /etc [Enter] cp hosts hosts.original [Enter]
- Modify hosts file
vi hosts [Enter]
- enter IP address and desired machine names. In my case…
192.168.1.150 esxi.khanthecomputerguy esxi For ESXI
192.168.1.150 vcenter.khanthecomputerguy vcenter For vcenter
To Exit. Press Esc:wp
- Verify hosts file setting by using command line.. cat hosts
Since this series of articles is about setting up home lab, setting up host file can work but if you are working with enterprise level setup then I strongly suggest setting up DNS server if its already not setup.
- Move to VMware vSphere client console and configure time. This conclude Part 4 of this series. In next part, I will show you how to configure VMware VCSA. If you already have not download VCSA then I suggest you should download it from Here.