In Part 1 and Part 2 we setup hyper-visor. In this part we will be installing and configuring VMware vSphere so that its ready for to deploy or create new virtual machines. To complete this part you will need putty. If you already don’t have it you can download it from here.
Move to the machine where you will be installing vsphere.
- Launch Command Prompt with Admin Rights.
- Backup the host file using the following command. ” copy hosts hosts.orignal ”
- Edit host file in notepad. You can use ” notepad hosts ” command in command prompt to open host file in notepad.
- In this step, we will go ahead and configure our hosts file for esxi and vcenter both. Note! your hosts file might look different than mine. Just append the following highlighted lines into your current hosts file. Khanthecomputerguy is my hypervisor name. See part 1 for clarification.
- Ping esxi to make sure host file is configured correctly.
- Launch Putty.exe. If you already have not download it. You can grab it here
- configure it with highlighted settings and save.
- At this time if you try to open putty session to esxi server. you will get network error. Its normal because we do not have viclient installed. So lets install viclient. We had already downloaded the viclient in our previous part of this series. But if you already have not downloaded you can do so now by typing http://esxi in your browser.
- Double click VMware viclient executable when prompted click next
- Select your desired language and click OK
- Click Next
- Select I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
- Leave everything default and click Next
- Click Install and Wait for few minutes for installation to complete.
- Click Finish to complete the installation.