Was the Wii U's "Asymmetric Gameplay" a bad concept, or was there some untapped potential?

Noor

Was the Wii U's "Asymmetric Gameplay" a bad concept, or was there some untapped potential?

Post by Noor » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:53 am

I remember being quite excited about the Wii U when Nintendo had unveiled it back in 2012. I thought about all the fresh gameplay ideas there were to be had that could implement the Gamepad. After I finally bought a Wii U and played Nintendoland and New Super Mario Bros. U, it deflated me. I thought, "...That's it?" lol. Needless to say, as the years went by, I grew more disappointed as more games failed to utilize the Gamepad in any new or exciting way.

I think that the Wii U's low sales had a lot to do with Nintendo's refusal to capitalize on the system's unique features. After it became apparent that the Wii U was pretty much dead in the water, I feel like Nintendo went into panic mode and just cranked out as much quality (albeit basic) software as they could before production halted. Maybe if the Wii U performed better, then Nintendo would have been more willing to take risks.

Raza

Re: Was the Wii U's "Asymmetric Gameplay" a bad concept, or was there some untapped potential?

Post by Raza » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:30 am

A bit of both, it had some untapped potential. If you look at the 3DS, and its dual-screen success, the Wii U was built around that same ideal. Games with asymmetrical multiplayer modes, like ZombiU, were some of the most-played favorites in my house at the time. That sort of gameplay definitely could've been expanded upon in exciting ways.

The only problem was that dual-screen home console gaming didn't line up with what others in the industry were doing, and required developers to "think outside the box" too much, and customize their gameplay experiences just for Wii U. Unlike with 3DS (which dominated the handheld market and thus determined its course), the Wii U was never going to get 3rd party support if it required the games to be different from the other platforms.