Hey English native speakers, were you able to grasp every dialogue in story-driven games?

rabia

Hey English native speakers, were you able to grasp every dialogue in story-driven games?

Post by rabia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm talking about series like The Witcher, Mass Effect, or any game that has complicated lore. When I'm playing such games, I keep losing tracks of the story and find myself struggling to get full meanings of every word in the dialogues. I usually understand the general story and what the game tells me to do, but sometimes I wasn't able to grasp every detail in the conversations with NPCs (without having to reread them).

Is this the case for English native speakers as well?

Raza

Re: Hey English native speakers, were you able to grasp every dialogue in story-driven games?

Post by Raza » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:12 pm

I don't have that problem. In fact, when it comes to games like Witcher 3 or Nier Automata I get way too analytical with those games and see more in-depth meanings in them. I believe by observing them more like this you appreciate what the devs were able to do with their vision and in general, you gain more fun out of the games by seeing the deeper meanings. Doesn't have to be through dialogue. Almost every game uses symbolism throughout if you observe as a way to send secret messages to the player that should be universally recognized regardless what your native language is. I could understand it is difficult for someone who doesn't speak English as their native language though.

I would be comfortable using a broad generalization that when it comes to symbolism in games, an overwhelming majority overlook them. That often makes me sad when people say things like a Dark Souls game doesn't have a deep story when it in fact it does it's just told uniquely. I think it's a major misconception that games need lots of dialogue to tell great stories.