As we all know Microsoft Windows gets plenty of errors on regular bases. Each error is displayed with a specific error code. Some of these errors are very simple to fix while others can be very painful. In this post, I’m going to show you, how to fix Error Code 0xc000000f.
What is error Code 0xc000000f?
Error Code 0xc000000f is associated with Windows Boot Manager and can occur on Windows 7, Windows 8.x and Windows 10. Whenever OS Windows tries to read Boot Configuration Data, it displays this error code message forcing the user to repair their computer through Windows Installation Media.
Reasons Behind Error Code 0xc000000f:
Windows boot sector is vital to load the Operating Sytem (OS) for execution. If boot sector gets corrupted for any reasons, such has Hard Disk failure / malware etc, this will cause an error preventing the Windows from loading properly. If the hard disk has a bad sector, it can also results in error code 0xc000000f.
How to fix Error Code 0xc000000f:
There are several methods to fix this Windows error. I will going over 4 different methods to get this error fixed for you.
- Repairing Your Computer via Original Bootable Media
- Using bootrec.exe tool to Repair BCD
- Rebuild BCD
- Creating an EFI Partition
Repairing Your Computer via Original Bootable Media:
This method requires a genuine Windows bootable media to fix error code 0xc000000f. This media can be DVD or USB. If you do not have access to bootable DVD or USB, you can follow the link below to create on.
For Windows 7/ Windows 8.X: https://appuals.com/create-windows-bootable-usb-or-dvd/
For Windows 10: https://appuals.com/create-windows-10-bootable-usb-with-rufus/
Once you have the bootable media ready.
- Insert the DVD/USB and boot your machine into bios setting. Entrance to bios varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. In my case, I’m pressing F2.
- Toggle to boot bring Removeable Media / CD/DVD to the top.
- After making the changes, press F10 to save and exit. Now reboot your machine, it should boot using bootable media and will start repairing your Windows automatically.
Note! If you are booting from CD or DVD you might see following message. Make sure to press any key otherwise machine will try to boot from hard drive.
Using bootrec.exe tool to repair BCD:
This method also requires a bootable Windows USB or DVD media. Microsoft Windows come with built-in tool called bootrec.exe. This tool was written to rebuild BCD (Boot Configuration Data) that controls how Windows operating system starts.
Let’s get started with this method….
- Restart your computer and use bootable DVD/ USB to boot. (Follow Method 1 for step by step instructions).
- If prompted, press any key to boot from DVD or USB.
- Select the language, time, currency and keyboard and click “Next”
- Click “Repair your Computer”
- Click “Troubleshoot”
- Click “Command Prompt”
- Backup BCD just in case you need it by typing following command. This should create a backup at C:\bcd_backup
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
- Rebuild BCD with following command.