I was having a meeting with a group of bloggers; someone asked me”What is the perfect blog post length? How long should I write a blog post?
When we talk about blogging. Everybody likes to have more comments, more traffic, more readers and more links. If, you want to build more audience online. It is essential to learn how to write good blog posts.
Perfect Lengths for Blog Posts
So then what’s the perfect length?
Well, it depends. I have experimented with many of different lengths, from 100-word mini-posts to 2,000+ word encyclopedia entries. Each has different advantages. It depends on what you want to get from your blog.
Do you want to get more comments on your blog posts?
Then, shorter usually is better, especially if your post is focused on asking your readers’ questions and generating discussion.
Remember, short posts hardly get shared on social media websites. So, If you are trying to build an audience, I will not recommend focusing only on short posts.
Do you want to get many social media shares?
When I began writing blog posts, I was crazy to get more than ten shares on social media. Now, I get disappointed if our posts don’t get more than 100 combined shares.
I have founded that the number of shares you get on social media is influenced by several things, which includes your topic, the posts’ quality, and, of course, the size of your current audience.
Blogging Tip: If you want more shares on social media? Go for medium length blog posts between 600 to 1,250 words.
Do you want good traffic from Google for your blog?
Who does not want to get traffic from Google? One month, I got a lot of new visitors from Google to getting over 1,000 new readers per day. I was ecstatic, of course. But then I found out the main source of all the new attention was a guest post written nearly two years before.
So How Long You Want Your Blog Post to Be?
To sum up, down below is a list of common blog posts lengths to help you find your ideal length:
- 75-300 words. Very-short posts are best for generating discussion. They hardly get many shares on social media, and they are horrible for SEO, but if you want to get many comments, write short posts!
- 300-600 words. It is the standard blogging length which many “expert” bloggers recommend. Good middle-ground for social shares and comments.
- 750 words. It is the standard length for professional journalism like newspapers.
- 1000-1500 words. You’ll receive very few comments at this length but more shares on social media.
- 2,450 words. The highest ranking articles on Google are most often 2,450 words. If you want to rank well on search engines (and thus get thousands of new readers per month), this is the best length to write. However, make sure you write about a topic that people are searching for.
To paraphrase up: longer is usually better for social shares and SEO whereas shorter is usually better for getting more comments.
Write the Length You Want
If the muse moves you, don’t be afraid to write posts that are 2,000 words or more. At the same time, don’t feel bad if you want to write a post that’s just 200 words long.
Keep in mind what that post length will likely bring to your blog, and vary your lengths so you can best serve your readers. But most of all, remember to have fun!
What about you? How long are your blog posts usually?
See Also:6 AWESOME TIPS FOR WINNING AT SEO