Pour one out today for Apple’s super luxe Apple Watch Edition, which devolved from “gold and ridiculously overpriced” to “ceramic and merely pricey” before disappearing from the Apple Watch lineup. But don’t shed a tear for Apple: It’s about to make up for any lost Edition revenue by increasing the prices on its new Apple Watch Series 4 models.
Before today, Apple offered the following Apple Watch options:
- Apple Watch Series 1 Aluminum GPS – $249 and up
- Apple Watch Series 3 Aluminum GPS – $329 and up
- Apple Watch Series 3 Aluminum GPS + Cellular – $399 and up
- Apple Watch Series 3 Steel GPS + Cellular – $599 and up
- Apple Watch Edition Series 3 Ceramic GPS + Cellular – $1,299 and up
As of now, Apple is offering these options:
- Apple Watch Series 3 Aluminum GPS – $279 and up
- Apple Watch Series 3 Aluminum GPS + Cellular – $379 and up
- Apple Watch Series 4 Aluminum GPS – $399 and up
- Apple Watch Series 4 Aluminum GPS + Cellular – $499 and up
- Apple Watch Series 4 Steel GPS + Cellular – $699 and up
One way to look at the lineup is that the range has become smaller, and overall more affordable, with better value. Last year’s Series 3 models are now available for less, and although there’s no $249 Watch, there’s also no Edition to blow $1,299 on. Beyond Apple having to price in new U.S.-China tariffs that are threatening to hit the Apple Watch, this year’s Series 4 watches include a host of new hardware features that arguably justify higher prices.
But if you look in the middle of the lineup, the changes aren’t pretty. If you want 2018’s latest tech, you’ll…