In this article we will be looking at deploying Adobe Reader 11.0.X. This Method can be used with other versions of adobe reader deployment too. To be exact we will be slip streaming Adobe Reader 11.0.4 into Adobe Reader 11.0.3.
Overview for Deploying Adobe Reader
- Create adobe reader slipt stream folder structure
- Download Adobe reader required files
- Create AIP (Administrative Installation Point) for Adobe Reader.
- Create Adobe Reader MST (Microsoft Transform)
Create Following Adobe Slip Stream Folder Structure:
*AIP = Administrative Installation Point.
Download Following Adobe Reader Files and Save them into C:AdobePatchAdobeReaderDownloads
Create AIP (Administrative Installation Point) for Adobe Reader
- Run Command Prompt as an Admin and browse to C:AdobePatchAdobeReaderDownloads
- Run the following command: AdbeRdr11000_en_US.exe -nos_o”C:AdobePatchAdobeReaderDownloads11.0.0″ -nos_ne
- Run the following command: msiexec /a 11.0.0AcroRead.msi /qb TARGETDIR=C:AdobePatchAIP
- Run the following command: AdbeRdr11004_en_US.exe -nos_o”C:AdobePatchAdobeReaderDownloads11.0.4″ -nos_ne
- Copy the msp from C:AdobePatchAdobeReaderDownloads11.0.4 to C:AdobePatchAdobeReaderDownloads
- Run the following command: msiexec /a C:AdobePatchAIPAcroRead.msi /qb /p AdbeRdrUpd11004.msp TARGETDIR=C:AdobePatchAIP
- Copy setup.ini from C:AdobePatchAdobeReaderDownloads11.0.0 to C:AdobePatchAIP.
Create Adobe Reader MST (Microsoft Transform)
- Download Adobe Customization Wizard XIfrom here
- Install Adobe Customization Wizard XI.
- Launch Adobe Customization Wizard XI
- Click a File > Copy Package
- End the following Information as show in snapshot below.
- In the left pane on the Personalization Options, check EULA Option: Suppress display of End User License Agreement (EULA).
- On the Shortcuts page, remove Adobe Reader XI under Desktop.
- On the Security page under Protected View, select All files. Under Enhanced Security Settings, select Enable & Lock for both Standalone and Browser. Under Privileged Locations, add the network shares your company stores common data. You can also add C: and other local drives. Check the box next to Prevent end user from adding trusted hosts. See the picture below for how I’d recommend to tighten the security in Adobe Reader. Remember though, these security settings may not apply in your environment. Perform thorough tests before deploying the application.
- On the Online Services and Features page, check the following boxes:
- Disable product updates
- In Adobe Reader, disable Help > Purchase Adobe Acrobat
- Disable Product Improvement Program
- Disable Viewing of PDF with Ads for Adobe PDF
- Disable all Adobe online services based workflows and entry points
- Click File> Save Package
In C:AdobePatchAcrobatTransformAdobe Reader 11.0.4 you’ll now have the complete package that can be deployed to your clients with ConfigMgr 2012 SP1. Copy the contents of the Adobe Reader 11.0.4 folder to your source structure on a fileserver (or however your environment looks like). In my case it will be \fileserverContentLibrary$SoftwareAdobeReader11_0_4
Notes when creating the Adobe Reader 11.0.4 application
Please make a note that an application with AIP source files will not be able to install “over” existing Adobe Reader installations since it’s not a patch to your existing Adobe Reader installations. On the other hand though, once you’ve adapted and deployed this type of applications (AIP), you can take advantage of the superintendence feature in the SCCM application model.
In order to install Adobe Reader 11.0.4 with the transform, you will need to put it as the Installation program command on the application deployment type in ConfigMgr 2012 SP1:
msiexec /i AcroRead.msi /qn TRANSFORMS=AcroRead.mst
Hope this adobe reader deployment method was helpful for you. Would love to hear your thoughts in comment section.